The U.S. National Park Service and the American Geological Institute are partnering to host the third annual National Fossil Day on Wednesday, October 16, 2013, during Earth Science Week. The mission of National Fossil Day is to celebrate and promote public awareness and stewardship of fossils, as well as to foster a greater appreciation of their scientific and educational value.
In honor of this new National Fossil Day, the Mammoth Site of Hot Springs, SD will provide many activities for children and adults alike.
Since it is a school day, we are spreading the word to teachers and home school parents that these special events are available at the Mammoth Site.
- “Ice Age” Art contest (mixed media, cardboard, Paper Mache, etc.) – Preschool, Grades K-5, Grades 6-12, and adult - prizes will be awarded – Submission deadline is noon October 1st – Voting from October 2nd – 15th. Winners announced on National Fossil Day.
- 9:00 -11:30 and 2:30 - 4:00 - Prehistoric antique road show, which will allow patrons to bring rocks and fossils to the museum to be identified by Dr. Larry Agenbroad
- 9:00 - 12:00 “Make your own plaster cast of the surface of a mammoth tooth”
- 1:00 p.m. Lecture by Monica Bugbee, Mammoth Site Preparator - Fossil Preparation at the Mammoth Site of Hot Springs, SD
- 2:00 p.m. Lecture by Justin Wilkins , Mammoth Site in-situ Bonebed Curator/Secondary Educator – “Cracking down: Ongoing research on bitten bones and the bite force of Arcotdus simus”
- 3:00 - Atlatl Throwing Experience, weather permitting
All above activities are free with paid admission.
The Mammoth Site will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with the last tour at 4:00.
For more information:
Email; firstname.lastname@example.org Visit our website; www.mammothsite.org
Call; 605-745-6017 Write; The Mammoth Site, Box 692, Hot Springs, SD 57747
“In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, and familial status.