PIERRE, S.D. – The South Dakota Department of Tourism recently launched a new statewide mobile app-featuring business and attraction listings from across the state. The app is available for free download on iPhones and iPads, and the Android and Blackberry operating systems.
“Visitors to South Dakota will now be able to interact and engage during their traveling experiences like never before,” stated Jim Hagen, Secretary of the Department of Tourism. “We understand the need to continue to develop strategies that will allow visitors’ questions to be answered as they ask them.”
Upon download, visitors are able to explore the state in a number of ways:
- Explore by Region. South Dakota is divided into four regions: western, central, northeast and southeast. Pick your region and find everything there is to see and do.
- Explore by Category. Find dining, shopping, lodging, outdoor adventures and attractions.
- Search Events. Don’t miss our fun and exciting events while you’re visiting South Dakota.
- What’s Nearby. Wondering what else is around the South Dakota attraction or destination of your choice? Find other attractions, lodging, dining and shopping partners near your current location.
- Social Media. Tweet about it. Share it. Upload it. Use social media to tell your friends and family about your South Dakota adventure.
- My Favorites. With so much to see and do in South Dakota, you’ll want to keep a list of your favorites for your return trip.
“Research shows that mobile continues to be a growing marketing trend,” continued Hagen. “With the ability to search by proximity and the ease of browsing through our listings pertinent to their interests, we know that this app will serve as an effective marketing tool.”
In addition to developing the app, the Department of Tourism also launched a mobile landing page. The landing page offers users the following options: continue to the website, download mobile app, call travel expert, download audio tours, and request free guide.
Those interested in downloading the free app will find it by searching for “Travel South Dakota” in their smart phone’s app store.
The South Dakota Department of Tourism is comprised of Tourism, the South Dakota Arts Council, and the South Dakota State Historical Society. The Department is led by Secretary James D. Hagen.